ART DECO PARK FURNISHINGS, INWOOD HILL PARK URBAN ECOLOGY CENTER and THE HENRY HUDSON MEMORIAL BRIDGE
Including bleachers attributed to Aymar Embury II, ca. 1936–40
Skidmore, Owings & Merrill, 1946–48
Moses-era Art Deco elements appear throughout the park and its natural landscape, including concrete entrance-gate columns, bollards, flagpole bases, water fountains and painted-steel bridge railings. Re-opened as the Inwood Hill Park Urban Ecology Center in 1995 (popularly known as “The Nature Center”), the largest Art Deco structure in Inwood Hill Park was originally designed to be a boathouse. Today it is used for lectures and exhibitions about the area’s natural history. Also constructed during the Moses era is the single-span, steel arch bridge named to commemorate the voyage of Henry Hudson on his ship the Half Moon, which anchored near the site in 1609. The bridge is part of the Henry Hudson Parkway, placarded as New York State Route 9A.