789 St. Marks Avenue, 805 St. Marks Avenue, 828-838 St. Marks Avenue, 839 St. Marks Avenue, 855-857 St. Marks Avenue, 889 St. Marks Avenue
Slee & Bryson, 1919-20
Russell Sturgis, 1869-70
Montrose W. Morris, 1892
Peter J. Lauritzen, 1898-1903
St. Marks Avenue between New York and Kingston Avenues is home to a number of interesting structures. Beginning in the 1890s, the avenue was considered one of the wealthiest in Brooklyn and certainly the most fashionable in this area. The avenue had a number of freestanding mansions set in landscaped gardens, as well as nice groupings of attached rowhouses. While most of the freestanding mansions were demolished to make way for middle class housing with the arrival of the subway in the early 20th century, one of the most impressive mansions survives at number 839. Originally the home of lumber dealer Dean Sage, the rock-faced brownstone mansion was designed in the High Victorian Gothic style and features wrought iron and terra cotta trim. The house originally had a large front porch, which was removed in the 1930s, when the house was converted to an institution for the developmentally disabled. Number 889 is notable for its grand Beaux-Arts style.
Each site is located in the Crown Heights North Historic District and the State and National Register of Historic Places Crown Heights North Historic District.