These two Federal-style houses have stood on the Bowery for over 200 years. No. 40 was the headquarters for the Bowery Boys—a nativist gang— in the mid-19th century. The infamous July 4th,1857, riot between the Irish gang of the Dead Rabbits and the Bowery Boys began in the saloon in No. 40 and lasted three days. These buildings retain original features such as Flemish-bond masonry, steeply pitched roofs with single peaked dormers on the front and back, gable-end chimneys and some stone lintels and sills that still remain.